Affluent Parenting: Building Confidence and Competence in the Next Generation
The competency and commitment of heirs is one of the most significant concerns of high performing families…
Although raising children has never been easy, families of affluence face unique parenting challenges. Every wealthy family faces the daunting task of accelerating competencies across generations. Nurturing a generation of confident and motivated leaders is the critical task for family wealth continuity. In this session, internationally known family business/wealth consultant John Messervey will share essential parenting lessons shared by hundreds of high performing families seeking personal responsibility, wealth stewardship and family harmony.
This session will explore:
- The seven “C’s” of confident parenting
- Common goals: the importance of parenting in alignment » Your wealth history; sharing the story of your family’s “good struggle”
- Avoiding affluenza, entitlement, snowplow parenting and a failure to launch
- Communicating values, enforcing consequences and rewarding performance
- Common phrases that should never be said in HNW parenting
- Why parenting millennials and the “I” generation is vastly different
- New threats, new opportunities for family business heirs in a vastly different world
John Messervey is an organization behavior consultant who counsels high wealth families throughout the United States and overseas. Among the earliest family business/wealth consultants, Mr. Messervey serves as President and Private Family Advisor of the National Family Business Council, a private consulting group and resource center in Lake Forest, Illinois.