Beyond the Numbers: Building Lasting Relationships with Families of Wealth
In this thought provoking session, internationally known family wealth consultant John Messervey will present “lessons learned” from almost 400 high net worth families over the past 30+ years. John will share techniques to strengthen family relationships, guide succession, and the optimize the family dynamics woven throughout intra and inter generation wealth transfer.
Through case studies and interactive discussion, John will offer techniques that lead consultants to “most trusted advisor” status in the family. Special emphasis will be placed upon improving communication, enhancing relationship skills and crafting “therapeutic” approaches for even the most experienced professional advisor.
This session will explore:
- Integrating an understanding of family systems into the work of professional advisors
- Models for creating change within a family
- Methods of increasing family harmony (and decreasing family anxiety)
- Why certain clients just seem to respond better—recognizing client transference and counter transference
- Understanding the psychology of the entrepreneur
- Parenting skills for the next generation of heirs
- Rewiring family communication patterns around wealth; gender, inter-generation, spouses and in-laws
John Messervey is an organization behavior consultant who counsels high wealth families throughout the United States and overseas. Among the earliest family business/wealth consultants, Mr. Messervey serves as President and Private Family Advisor of the National Family Business Council, a private consulting group and resource center in Lake Forest, Illinois.