Difficult Conversations: Eight Discussions that Every High Performing Family Should Have
Most families are one or two well facilitated conversations away from accelerating their harmony—and wealth. Here’s where to start…
Wealth creation is one of the most complex and emotional topics to explore as a family. In this interactive session, internationally known family business/wealth consultant John Messervey will examine eight of the most difficult conversations that need to occur within and among generations. These practical communication techniques are designed to move families “beyond stuck.” With an emphasis on family harmony and long-term wealth continuity, John will explore enhancing the motivation of heirs, rules for working in the family business, responsibilities of inherited wealth, and the always challenging debate around prenuptial agreements.
This session will explore:
- The seven “C’s” of confident parenting
- Common goals: the importance of parenting in alignment
- Your wealth history; sharing the story of your family’s “good struggle”
- Avoiding affluenza, entitlement, snowplow parenting and a failure to launch
- Communicating values, enforcing consequences and rewarding performance
- Common phrases that should never be said in HNW parenting
- Why parenting millennials and the “I” generation is vastly different
- New threats, new opportunities for family business heirs in a vastly different world
John Messervey is an organization behavior consultant who counsels high wealth families throughout the United States and overseas. Among the earliest family business/wealth consultants, Mr. Messervey serves as President and Private Family Advisor of the National Family Business Council, a private consulting group and resource center in Lake Forest, Illinois.